Chase account hacked, fraud department is closed on Sunday
8 by cs_student_32 | 4 comments on Hacker News.
My Chase bank account just got hacked and I'm very confused about the series of events. I'd like to preface this that as someone working in tech, I'm not an average internet user and don't think I clicked anything shady recently. All times are EST. 1:30PM Got email on my phone about a new Zelle recipient added to my Chase account. 1.33PM Deleted the unauthorized recipient, changed passwords on Chase and emails. At this point the hacker already submitted a transfer of $2000 - the maximum allowed. 1.34PM Called Chase to report the fraud. Rep told me they need to transfer me to the "fraud department" and told me to hold. 1.40PM Still on hold. Hung up and called again, another rep picked up. They told me the "fraud department" is closed Sunday so only thing I can do is to call again tomorrow Monday. Also they told me the transaction was automatically flagged so it didn't go through. I have so many questions: 1) Why is Chase fraud department closed on Sunday? I guess there's a reason the hacker strikes on this specific day. 2) I always get a bunch of notifications (push, email, sms) whenever I sign in from a new device. Assuming the hacker logs in from their device, I didn't get any notification at all. How is this possible? 3) Looking at "Device access history" on Chase security page, I don't see any unrecognized device. But it shows a login at 1.29PM from my home computer. But at that time my computer is off. This is the biggest mystery and kind of relates to question 2) above: was the attack carried out on my own home computer (so it's not a new log in so I didn't get notifications), but it was off - how is this possible? To be sure, I checked the computer event log, and Chrome history, none shows any activity at 1.29PM. So I'm not even sure the activity at 1.29PM that Chase report is accurate, but it does match up with the unauthorized access at 1.30PM. I'll call them again tomorrow but at this time, I'm very very confused.