Ask HN: Advice on bringing community broadband to Los Alamos?
24 by fraserphysics | 0 comments on Hacker News.
For a decade I have been advocating for the government of Los Alamos County in New Mexico to help with county wide broadband. The coincidence of my renewed effort, the COVID-19 pandemic, and a sympathetic County Council is yielding progress. At the direction of the County Council, the County staff has a job posting for a Broadband Manager. (See the posting at https://ift.tt/3tMmurK... ) The staff is posting the opening for a second time because the first time, only one applicant met even the minimum qualifications. My questions for Hacker News are: 1. Does the posting look realistic? 2. Does it describe someone who could get a community broadband network built? 3. How can the County get qualified people to apply? I've been pushing on this issue since 2011. I went so far as serving on the County Board of Public Utilities and becoming its Chair in 2015. Finding that the Board had no authority over the issue, I turned to political organizing and set up the website blabnow.blog. On that site, you can see what I think we need a Broadband Manager to do at https://ift.tt/3EqLsBV... Beyond asking for thoughts on the Broadband Manager position, I would like to read general comments on: 4. How to get local governments to take responsibility for modern communication utility monopolies?