Ask HN: I'm 10 years into CS career, but rarely code anymore. Is this normal?
51 by maxdoop | 33 comments on Hacker News.
I graduated with CS degree in 2012. Worked as intern doing web dev, then moved to enterprise Java shop at large corp. Then, spent 4 years at consulting firm coding in variety of technologies. I now work at another large enterprise, and find myself being more "architect" than "developer". I spend time discussing vendors, high-level design, architectural decisions between domains, and just more overall "steering" strategy than coding. Is this normal? And further -- is this "OK"? Some more context: I enjoy my work; I especially enjoy being involved in the higher-level issues and strategy. I enjoy working with other decision makers, and might even enjoy it more than the hands-on coding work I used to do. However, I worry that I'm losing my edge. If I want to job switch, I'd be fucked on the LeetCode stuff. I could study it no problem, but I'm curious how much pure coding skills impact my career trajectory. As it stands, I'm not entirely sure where I'd move next but I want to ensure my skills are valuable (e.g. I don't want to become stale!)